Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Trippy Cards

Liz and I went on a road trip to California for my cousin's wedding. We met up with my parents who flew out and then we drove out to Yosemite for some sight seeing. After we got there and made use of the upgraded room with private pool and had some food and drinks, we played a few games before calling it a night and resting up for the hiking tomorrow.

We started with Fauna. It was easy to teach and I knew my mom wouldn't hate it. We all had a good time and my dad won by a good margin.
Afterwards we had time for another game and I voted for...

Dixit 2-6 players
If you've ever played Apples to Apples or Balderdash, it's like that but not. It puts much more pressure on the player to be creative. The game has hundreds of cards with strange drawings on them. Each player has 6 cards in their hands. The clue giver puts a card face down from their hand and gives whatever clue they want for that card (e.g. word, sentence, noise,...). Everyone adds one card to that pile that they think could represent that clue. The pile is shuffled and revealed. The clue guessers secretly vote on which card was the clue givers card. Points are then scored for correct answers. The clue giver only scores if some but not all the players vote for the right card. This means the clue giver needs to give a good clue, but not an obvious clue. After a few games you have to get more creative, because if you give the same clue with the same group it's a giveaway. I've gotten expansion packs, so that isn't a huge problem. I tend to give clue where only Liz knows what I'm talking about. This makes the game really hard for me when Liz is already in the lead.
This game was no different, Liz got a really good lead. Once Mo and Tom got the hang of it, they were able to give clues that she didn't understand. Luckily I was able to pick up on a few of them. Near the end it was a close call and could have been pretty much anybody's game. Dad was able to make the most of it and won.
It has been a while since I played this and I really like it. It can suffer a bit if you get left out of the clues, which has happened to me, but as long as everyone plays smart, that should be able to be curbed.

Tally: 95/165  Bonus: 24/50

No comments: