Wednesday, October 7, 2015

2 × 3 = 6?

At work, Bryan had brought a game he recently got from a Kickstarter project.

Between Two Cities 1-7 players
This game plays a little like a faster version of 7 Wonders, but the places you create are between players and you don't worry about resources. The game takes place over 3 rounds. In the first and third round, each player takes 7 random tiles and drafts two of them. The tiles have different buildings (factories, shops, offices, houses, taverns, and parks) that score based on placement and/or on what else is in the town. Of the two you drafted, one will go into the town on your left and the other to your right. You will discuss with the neighboring players what organization works best, always keeping in mind how things score and knowing that, in the end, the city must be a 4×4 grid. Once placed, each player take the remaining tiles passed to them and drafts until one tile is passed which is simply trashed. The middle round is a short round. Each player take three random large tiles (takes up the space of two adjacent tiles and each contains two buildings) and picks two. Again, teams discuss how best to fit them in their cities. After the 4×4 cities are made at the end of the third round, each city is scored. Players earn the score of the lowest value city that they are next to. Highest player score wins.
We played a 4 player game. This worked well. It plays a little weird, but a good weird. You are doing your best to have two really good cities, but also you are worrying that maybe you might be just helping your neighbor more than yourself. When the scores got tallied, both of my cities scored the same and also both had the highest score.
I enjoyed this game. I love the discussion between players over what each thinks works better for their cities. It breaks up the gameplay and jostles you into paying attention to what other players are doing. There are too many times in 7 Wonders where I just get tunnel vision and forget to look around me. It's also pretty great that it has only 6 structures to add to a city. It keeps it nice and light for such a short play time. I'm not sure I'd ever buy the game, but I can see myself gifting this to someone else so I could play it with them.

Once work was over and Liz got to relax, I popped out another game. Something not too thinky, but also could be played on an ottoman so that Liz could stay comfy and relaxed. Of the games that I hadn't played yet, this left only one.

Triple Yahtzee 1-10 players
I hate Yahtzee, which means I hate this game three times as much. It is exactly like playing three games of Yahtzee concurrently. Did you already get a large straight? That's cool, just fill it in on one other the other two scoring tracks you have. Each track has sum multiplier at the end (1×, 2×, 3×) which doesn't really effect much. You can now put your shitty rolls in the low scoring column rather than just the low scoring row. That's the game. Nothing more. Anything more and it would be Quadruple Yahtzee. I want to vomit now.
Liz got a Yahtzee early and I got a Yahtzee in the second to last roll. We each did comparably well. In fact, we scored in all the same boxes. Same two Yahtzees crossed out, and the same two bonuses scored. She just scored a little better in pretty much everything. She beat me by about 20 or 30 points.
Liz loves this game which is why it will never leave the collection. I doubt I'll ever play it again, unless I'm trying to make her feel better.

Tally: 118/174  Bonus: 30/50

No comments: