Sunday, July 19, 2015

Not Boxed In

I had a bunch of things packed at home, but I had left out two games to hopefully be played at "Rancho Thomaso" later in the day. I got a lot of grumbling about what games I should have brought, but we still played my games anyway.
We started with...

The Simpsons: Loser Takes All! 2-6 players
I think I got this as an Xmas present years ago. I had actually played it once before then with Emily and the gang. I remember them distracting me while on the phone to cheat an answer out of me. I have to assume I'm smarter than that now.
It's a spin and move game. You are all on a 9×9 grid of spaces and start with 20 bucks, 10 junk food tokens, and 5 face up character cards. You spin the spinner and do what it says. When you move, you can move horizontally or vertically, but no backtracking. Wherever you land, you do what it says on that space. Most of the commands tell you to lose or gain money or junk food. The others have have you answer a question card. You write down an answer to a personal question like "Am I double-jointed?". Then you pick a player to guess your answer. If they get it right, they flip over one of their character cards. If not, you get to. The game ends when one player has all of their characters flipped. According to the name, the player who has the least wins. Bills and tokens are worth 1 point each, characters are 3 points each, and if you are on the bottom row that adds another 5 points.
We had a 6-player game going. It started out a bit slow and dragged in parts, but I still enjoyed the question cards. I now know that Ida has tried to cut her hair, that Thomas has never had a birthday party in a McDonald's, that Darrin owns 4 remotes, and that Carol has ridden in an ambulance. I was the first to get rid of my character cards, but Carol was the real loser and by that I mean the winner.

We followed up with food and then cooled down with a game of...

Wit's End 2+ players
I'm not sure why Liz wanted this game. I believe she just saw it on Amazon and thought it sounded cool. It's a bit like Trivial Pursuit. You answer questions on history, the arts, or other trivial things. There are 4 categories that are pretty unique: Teaser, Odd 1 Out, Sequence, and Wild Card. Teaser has you solve a short riddle usually involving word play. Odd 1 Out has you select which of 4 things isn't like the others. Sequence has you order 3 item by a given rule. And Wild Card either has you answer 2 True/False questions or fill in 2 out of 3 blanks. Like Trivial, you roll and move on a board. Unlike it, there are places that move you in a level. Once you get to the center and answer one more question of your choice, you win. There are also random question bonuses that will cause a player to move up or down a level.
We played two games. One with teams and another as individuals. Darrin and Liz one the first game. None of us were surprised. In the second game, Thomas took the win. This made him happy since earlier in the day he was complaining that he never wins any of the games I bring. His winning words were "Log This!"

Carol was insistent we get a game of Golf in. Darrin and I weren't keen on that, so we opted out and instead did scoring and commentary. As our alter-egos Bob and Chet, we made the game much more lively. Thomas nearly won, but had a bungle of a final hole and lost it to Liz.

Tally: 79/162  Bonus: 21/50

No comments: