Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Working with a Blind Architect

Every other Wednesday at work, we play games at lunch. I almost always eat lunch while working, then nap at lunch, but I gladly make an exception for games. The number of people that show up are variable: this makes picking games to bring tough for me. Even if I have the perfect game, we might be playing another person's game. Today, it was me and two others and I was the only one who brought anything. I felt it was the perfect setting for...

Blueprints 2-4 players
This game wins me over three-fold: It's small, it has lots of pretty dice, and is pretty open-ended in the scoring. You are all constructing buildings using different materials: steel, glass, wood, and recycled materials (represented by different color dice). Each player has their own blueprint behind a divider that they can choose to follow or not. Everyone goes around taking dice from the pool and adding it to their building. You can only stack a die on top of another if the value is equal to or greater than the one below it. After everyone has taken 6 dice, all buildings are revealed and are scored based on the materials and if the blueprint was followed. Gold, silver and bronze medals are handed out. Bonus points are also give to the people who meet certain conditions: 5 dice of the same color, 4 dice of the same number, one die of each number, or a building that is stacked 5 dice high. After 3 rounds of this, the most points wins.
Neither of them had heard of it, let alone played it. I started out pretty weak, but was never too far behind. That is, until the last round. Adam got nearly all the bonus prizes. Those dice must love him. They both really enjoyed the game. Had I remembered and had there not been a meeting in the room right after, I would have taken a picture of us playing it.

After work I went home, exercised, made dinner and set up...

Isle of Trains 2-4 players
I ordered this game online just before starting this blog. The art looked lovely and the gameplay seemed interesting. I would have gotten it sooner, but they sent me another customers order. I wonder if they sent mine to OH. I e-mailed the company and they mailed out another copy and told me to keep the wrong game too. I'd keep it, but it's an expansion to a game I never intend to play (Sentinels of the Multiverse: Shattered Timelines).
In this game you play cards to add to your train, load cars, build buildings, and make deliveries. All
the cards have multiple uses that can be used for each action. The neat aspect of the game is you can get bonus actions or cards by loading other people's trains. You get nothing special for loading your own. Once the deck runs out, you add up points from your train, buildings, extra load, and deliveries.
We played this twice. Liz won the first and I won the second. The first game seemed too short, so on the second go we went through the deck twice. It's good, but it seems like it should last at least 2 decks worth. I feel like maybe I'm not taking the directions literally enough. I'll make a post in the forums tomorrow to see what's what.

Pie Factory 2-4 players
I also got this game with Isle of Trains. How could I pass up a game about pie? I love pie. In fact, I made sure to have pie when playing this game. Mmmmm, pie!
In the game you build pies by playing crust, filling, and topping cards. The more you add, the more it's worth. Some of the cards include bonus categories that will score if you have the most of them at the end. It's pretty easy. Easy as... pie?
This seemed to go just right. I had more of a strategy to get bonuses and Liz went for lots of pies. I won by about 2 points. I liked it and not just because I got to think about pies the whole time. The one problem I found was that we were zooming through the game and I was so busy thinking about the best strategy that I would often lose track of where we were in the round. I have a feeling that more players would help with that, but it got a bit annoying in this game.


Tally: 21/150  Bonus: 4/50

No comments: