Saturday, June 6, 2015

Wake Me Up

We started the day with Jade and Isle of Trains. It was nice to eat outside and I really enjoy that game. It was a close one, but Liz took the victory. After, we headed to Cloud Cap which was nearby and picked up a couple of games.
Later, we got together with Liz's family to do more eating and playing. Most of them played The Game of Life while Carl and I played Star Realms. He won the first game and I won the last two. It was nice and I got to try out some of the Gambit cards. They gave a little kick to jump start a few hands. Carol won Life. We then took a break to get outside a bit.
Once back inside, we tried...

Sleeping Queens 2-5 players
Liz got this game for the kids a week or so ago. It was made by a 6-year old and her family. The game starts with 12 queen cards face down in an array. Each queen is worth points (between 5 and 20). Every player has 5 cards. On a player's turn they either play an action card or discard number cards. The actions mostly let you gain or make another player lose a queen. There are counter-action cards people can play to stop you as well. When you play numbers, you can play a single, a pair, or multiples. If you play multiples then you have to be able to create a true equation. For example, if you have a 1, 3, 5, and 8 you can make 1 * 3 + 5 = 8. Playing number cards just gets the numbers out of your hand. At the end of your turn, you draw back up to 5 cards.  Once a player gets 4 queens or 40 points (more for a 2-3 player game) they win. If the queens are all taken, then the player with the most points wins.
We played 3 times. It a very random game.There isn't much you can do in the game since a large majority of the cards are useless numbers. I do enjoy the equation mechanic, but for a Math geek like me it slows the game down while I'm sitting there trying to find the equation that lets me trash all 5 of my cards. For a kids game, it's fine. For a game made by a kid, it's really good. There are plenty of other games I'd rather a hypothetical kid of mine play.

Since there was now six of us to play, Diamonds seemed like the best game. It was nice and fit the group well. Carol won again.
Carol and Thom headed home and we were free to play the game Carl and Becky had been dying to play again: Ticket to Ride. Liz and I were all for it since one of the things we got at Cloud Cap was the Heart of Africa expansion. It added a few new cards to draw as route multipliers. It was a good game. It was pretty close. Most of them thought the game was mine. I was hoping so, but I wasn't sure since I never drew any new tickets. I was right too. Becky had finished all 6 of her tickets. That with the Globetrotter prize got her the win.

Tally: 60/153  Bonus: 16/50

No comments: