Saturday, January 30, 2016

Wilson!

Liz and I had a lot of time to chill to toady and a apparently we wanted to die, so I set up...

Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on thew Cursed Island 1-4 players
Do you like playing a game that will make you feel like whatever you do is useless and insists you are powerless against the power of nature? If you said yes or suspiciously said no, then this game is for you. This is a cooperative game were you all play survivors on an island. There are a number of different scenarios you can play, but in most cases you are trying to not die and accomplish one or two main goals. In most games it's a challenge to just stay alive. You each get two actions to either explore, build tools, hunt, gather resources, or help others. If you don't get help on an action, you risk failing the action or having other bad things occur. If you always help everyone, then you aren't doing enough to make the island livable. I've died most games. Liz and I have lived once and it was still close. Afterward we realized we were playing slightly wrong.
We played Scenario 1 called Castaway. The goal is to have lived long enough to create a large wood pile for a signal so that by the 11th or 12th week you can be rescued. We felt like we were starting out okay. As this game almost always does, things barreled out of control. We lost access to most of our food supply through tragedy. This left hunting as our only option which caused us a lot of wounds since we didn't have any weapons left. By the end of the 7th week we had filled a third of the wood pile and Liz had died from the cold.
Both of us are on the borderline of hating this game. Liz maybe more so. It gives no slack. I either want to hate the game for being too merciless or hate the game for making me feel like an idiot. There is still an inkling in me that says I can beat it. Much like my frustration with Pandemic: The Cure, I need to rule the game and not let it rule me. The rest of the day I spend toiling over my errors. I know that I'm probably using my determination tokens poorly. We also needed to build a hatchet sooner, and we forgot to make good use out of the bear fur. There is just so much to keep track of and having death looming doesn't help.

For dinner we went to HUB and got pizza. We played Ascension and Cribbage. I won Ascension with a buying strategy. Liz won cribbage with a come from behind sprint.

Tally: 171/185  Bonus: 43/50

No comments: