Saturday, May 16, 2015

Just Keep Playing

Liz and I started the day with breakfast at Off the Waffle. While we waited for our treats we played...

Zombie Fluxx 2-6 players
This takes the same Fluxx formula and adds a crap load more creepers. All the creepers are zombies of some sort. It's easy to get rid of them usually, but a little pointless when they just keep coming. How thematic. It's harder to play this in a restaurant since the creepers fill the table space real quick. It's good and maybe a little better than the original.
We were able to play 3 games. We each won one. We also each lost two. This means there is a goal that can cause both players to lose. I kind of enjoyed that loss.

After breakfast, we chilled at home, but I later went to the parents house to play games. Liz had Red Dress to go to.

We started with Ticket to Ride. We played on the Legendary Asia version. There was a lot of commotion on the right side of the map. This blocked a lot of paths for people. It forced me to give up on a ticket. Darrin won with Becky close behind.
After Ticket we took a short break to get dinner cooking: tater tot casserole. We then began a game of...

Can't Stop 2-8 players
I got this game because I was sick of playing Golf (card game) with Liz's mom. I did some research to find a happy medium type game. Something that is entertaining and doesn't require a lot of thinking, but also a game where you feel like you have a choice over your destiny. A push your luck game seemed great and of all the ones I had heard about, this one came up the most. You roll 4 dice and pair them up to make numbers between 2 and 12. You can only move up 3 of the tracks at a time so if you can't make a pair of one of the tracks you're on, you lose all the progress you've made that turn. Shortly after a few plays, I got the Rollin' Down The Highway expansion and we never play without it. I also got the extra cones for more color choices and to allow for more than 4 players. And with all that new stuff added to the box that can meant only one thing: new insert.
We all did pretty good, except Becky. The one round she got on the board, she was bumped off by Sarah and then me. I was able to build up a number of back-ups and was primed to win on my next turn. This made Sarah push for the win on her turn since she knew it was probably her last. It was her last because she won.

We still had a bit more time before dinner was good to go. We played Mascarade. It was a delightful game. It was difficult to remember any cards people had, making it a laugh riot most of the time. I was smiling so much my cheeks hurt. I won again because people left me alone enough.
We then took a break to eat. Darrin left after grub to get more sleep. Becky, on the other hand, was dying to play...

Caverna 1-7 players
The "sequel" to Agricola. This may actually be my favorite worker placement game. It does away with the cards from Agricola and replaces it with rooms that anyone can get. It also and removes the stress of food since nearly everything can be traded for food without building an oven. It's all the things I love about Agricola without all the things I find so-so. I'd play it more if it didn't take so much time to play. It's no Battle Star Galactica, but it'll take a chuck of your time.
And did I ever get to play it. We ended up playing two games. We each took different strategies in the second game compared to the first. We also all improved our scores in the second game compared to the first. I won both games. Such a good game.  In fact, I'm good for a third game.

Tally: 43/152  Bonus: 12/50

No comments: