Friday, October 16, 2015

All The Lunches

With Emily in town and Liz not having work, we made a day of our time. The plan was to have Raeann pick us up and head to Hood River for alcohol, lunches, and games. We played a mess of games and had a loose definition of lunch.

1st lunch: meatball sub, pizza, and a flight of beers - Played Pairs and No Thanks!. Played each twice. Everyone seemed to enjoy No Thanks! more.
2nd lunch: a flight of beers - Played Hanabi and Emily and I played Brew Crafters. Hanabi went really well. Probably the best game we've had of it. Emily picked up Brew Crafters fast and beat me by 2 points.
3rd lunch: burger, tacos, curry bowl, and a flight of beers - Played Codenames and Guts of Glory. Liz and I won best two out of three in Codenames. Guts was a tight race, but Liz got gold after I showed her the way.
4th lunch: beignets, elephant ear, coffee, and a few beers - No games
5th lunch: wine, goldfish crackers, and fried cheese cubes - No games. It was a walking lunch
6th lunch: pickled vegetables, fries, and a flight of beers - Played...

Lifeboats 3-6 players
Of all the games I own, this is the one where people will hate each other in the end the most. You all have a number of survivors on different lifeboats trying to reach the safe shores. Anything that happens in the game is done on a voting system. You vote on which boat gets a leak, and if it comes to it, which sailor goes overboard, and on which boat to moves. There is also a phase where you swap boats that doesn't make too much sense thematically, but is needed to make the game work mechanically. The best part is that everyone has 3 captain cards to vote with which means they can overrule the vote. Of course, if multiple people use them in the same vote, they all cancel and you've wasted that card. The smartest play I've found is to be the quiet guy in the background that doesn't cause trouble. Unfortunately, I can never seem to keep my mouth shut which usually gets me into trouble.
I was apparently able to be pitiful enough to get people to leave me alone long enough. I was able to use my captain cards wisely enough to move the black boat twice and get 3 of may sailors to safety. Near the end, I wasn't even voting because I had saved nearly all of my sailors.
This isn't a game I can bring out any old time. I has to be just the right group of people. I find the only time is comes out is with people who've never played it before. The virgins don't know better.

7th lunch: kettle corn - No games. Driving home.

Tally: 126/174  Bonus: 30/50

No comments: