Sunday, October 11, 2015

Earth Fire Water

We ran more errands today. Once we got tired running around, we stopped at Migration Brewing to watch some of the Duck's game. While we waited for it to start, we passed the time with...

Agricola: All Creatures Big & Small 2 players
I got this for Liz as a stocking stuffer that didn't fit in the stocking. She really loved the main game so I thought she'd find this interesting. It a much smaller simpler version of the original game intended for two players. It's Agricola with just the animals and no grain, veggies, or feeding. Our first play ever was kind of sad since we played like it was the original game and didn't really see how to make the most of what he had. In fact, when we tallied the scores, we were amazed at how poor we had both played. I don't think either of us got any of the big animal bonuses at the end.
This go around wasn't much better, I at least prevented myself from taking negative points. Liz wasn't as prepared. I finished out with the win.
Overall, it's a neat game, but I have so many other games that feel better to play in a bar. If I'm not out and about and feel like playing a worker placement, I'll play the big one.

We watched the first half of the Duck's game, then headed home to prepare for company. Raeann showed up and we played a few games before Sarah was able to show up and we sat by the fire.

Fireball Island 2-4 players
This game is the shit. It's a pretty standard roll and move game, but past that, there is nothing standard about it. It's one of the two games I own with a molded plastic board. The 3D effect is necessary because if you roll a 1 you get to launch a fireball at your enemies or possibly yourself. Your goal is to get your hands on the precious gem and get to the boat before you are fireballed or someone nabs it out of your pack. I loved this game as a kid. I'm so lucky it didn't get sold in a garage sale. When my parents sent it out to me in Portland there were a few missing or broken pieces. I got replacement marbles on the internet, used spare plastic and paint to fix the purple playing piece, and printed a new magic charm token.
Most gameplays of this tend to see one person run away with the victory. This game was a mad scramble. Cards flew and fireballs rolled. I almost had the win, but just couldn't roll high enough. Raeann had it.

Crash Canyon 2-4 players
This is the other molded plastic game I have. Another roll and move where you race around the track and let your micro machine roll you ahead or behind when you end on a hill. If you roll a star (replaces the 1 face), you can actually move a competitor back or forward. Occasionally you might end up in a ditch. The best part is that you can fill the ditches with water, or Kool-Aid... or chocolate pudding. We usually play a two lap game to make it double the fun. I printed some replacement turbo tokens, but I'm not as happy with them as I am with my printed token in Fireball Island. I tried to find additional micro machines for more selection, but most of the ones I find are semis or spaceships.
We didn't play laps this time, but we did play two games. I won the first game even though I was behind for most of the game. Raeann one the second, but Liz could have had it, if she would have remembered to use a turbo token.

Tally: 123/174  Bonus: 30/50

No comments: