Thursday, December 3, 2015

A Hobbled Run to the Bottom

One of my coworkers wanted to get Roll for the Galaxy, but wanted to see what I thought of...

Race for the Galaxy 2-4 players
This is the original game. It's very similar to Roll. You're playing cards that act as planets, developments, and resources instead of dice and tiles this time. Each player still picks out what they want to make sure happens, but this time players get a bonus if they are the one to make sure it happens. The game ends when either all of the point tokens are gone or until one player "builds" 12 of their cards.
I was basically thrown into the fire on this one. We had a full load of 5 players (I think he had an expansion). The others had played before, but some only once or twice. I didn't really have a good strategy and I tried to play like it was Roll. This didn't work out too well. I couldn't get a lot of production going which meant I fell behind fast. In the end, I was tied for last with 16 points. First was around 38ish points.
I liked the game and I'm sure I could do better if I knew what to expect out of the deck. The benefit with Roll is you only have a few tiles to make decisions on. In Race, every card you draw has text to be read and symbols to be deciphered. You need to be weighing your options every turn and there is a flood of new things to weigh. In a fast paced lunch game, this is pretty stressful. I'm much happier with Roll, plus I'd have a harder time getting any of my regulars to play Race a second time.

Tally: 149/178  Bonus: 40/50

No comments: