Sunday, December 6, 2015

Just A Nibble

I started the day playing Super Metroid and watching Jurrasic Park III. I got a text from Sarah that she needed her Xmas decor from out of my garage and she would love to play games when she came to pick it up.
We started with her pick of Takenoko. It's a favorite of hers and it rarely gets brought out. She needed a few reminders as we played. It went enjoyably and I won by about 10 points.
I then picked out Legendary: Encounters. She hadn't played it before and I know she likes deck builders. We got through half the game without a scratch. Not too far into the third objective it became clear that not having Coordinate attack cards was really hurting us. We were overwhelmed and the attacks were brutal. Poor us.
She had time for one more short game. I dealt out another deck builder Flip City. She was new to the game and she learned as she went. I viciously dominated the game, but she enjoyed it all the same. It's one of those games where if you don't know all the possibilities, you're going to drown. I'm sure she'll do better next time.
After she left to run trivia, I got to making a cheesy dinner for Liz and my continuation of...

Mice and Mystics 1-4 players
I got this game at the same time I regot HeroQuest. I was a little worried about this since the style of game is very similar: moving around, getting treasures, and killing things by rolling dice. There are a few differences though. In this game, you play as mice against rats, bugs, and one mean cat. There is also a modular board system. The biggest difference is that there is no overlord. Everyone is playing against the game. So in this respect, it makes the game very different for me.
We played twice before and failed both times, it was always pretty close. The third time we finally made it past the first chapter. So this game was the second chapter. Our goal was to rescue our friend Lilly from a mousetrap before she was overtaken by roaches and rats. Liz played as Tilda the healer and Collin the leader. I played as Nez the heavy and Lilly the Archer. We pretty much breezed through this one. We were in a little trouble near the end, but with a few good rolls we were able to save Lilly and clear out the rats and centipede.
Liz enjoys this game mostly for the cute mice and the theme. She's not a fan of bugs, but she doesn't mind a game with the goal of killing them. I like the game myself. My only grief is that it is easy to forget some of the finer details in the game if you haven't played it in a while. This meant I had to stop the thematic gameplay to check the rules a few times. This isn't the games fault, it's mine, but it hurts every time I do something wrong and then figure out how to fix it a page into the quest.

Tally: 150/178  Bonus: 40/50

No comments: