Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Pre-Gaming

We met up with a bunch of Liz's friends at a cabin near Mt. Hood. It wasn't long until someone noticed we brought...
Rebound 2 or 4 players
I had the licensed version of this as a kid. It's basically a miniature version of shuffleboard with a bend in the track. Rubber bands make the bend functional. Liz and I won this wooden version of the game as a bonus prize during bar trivia. We got second in trivia, but the prize was a raffle where tickets were added for beers ordered. So really Liz won it. We played a number of times when we got it, but we haven't played it since. It's quite hefty and needs room to fit in the car. I've brought it to a few parties, but it gets ignored for other games.
This was not ignored at all. It's the first thing people noticed when they sat down. The first game was played with teams. I was with Jess (team: Ass Kickers) and we played against Gerg and Scott (team Cum Dumpsters). It was a pretty close game, but Jess and I won.
This is the perfect game to play for those who regular bars. You can drink and casually play. No thinking. Just hands and trash talk. This got played a lot all trip.

We wanted something that could play more people next and everyone seemed to be most familiar with...

Balderdash 2-6 players
I always remember my parents playing this game. It was always a riot, but isn't everything a riot with my parents. I tried it once as a senior in high school. It was a complete flop. I'm pretty sure most definitions written fell somewhere along the lines of "cow poop". Classy! I didn't consider playing it again until Liz had a go of a newer Beyond Balderdash. She enjoyed it a lot and now I really felt like I might be at that point where I could join in on the ruckus of my parents years. We picked up a used copy of the original at Guardian Games and held onto it for a while before the group was right for it to hit the table. It was fun, not as fun as my childhood remembers it being, but fun still. I am horrible at it.
I didn't do too bad this game. I had the lead for a while, but then stagnated at about the three-quarter mark. We had some funny definitions like "burgoo" is the grease removed from a burger. Liz actually got a correct definition once. The winner was Jane Lee.
The only flaw with this game is that it requires a lot of slips of paper. We probably used about half of them to play this game alone. I wonder if anyone made an app for this. I guess texting could work.

We also got a game of Dominoes going (Mexican Trains), but there was a lot of dispute over the exact rules. I think Scott one.
Once more people showed up, we ended up playing Cards Against Humanity. This was brought by Jamie who was gifted the bigger blacker box with all the expansions. We played 2 games and they ended pretty quickly because Gerg is a savant at it or something.

Tally: 160/182  Bonus: 42/50

No comments: